Friday, June 03, 2005

Another post just for my Secret Pal

Don't you feel special? This is another post just for you! It's the questionaire. So here we go!

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm not really a snob, but I definitely appreciate fine quality yarns. While I don't shun Lion or Bernat or any of those, the yarn has so be soft enough for me to want to have it running through my fingers for a few hours at a time. Even some high-priced yarns don't fit that requirement.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do crochet, but I don't spin. Spinning is something I may like to learn, but it feels like something I'd only want to do if I was also producing the fibre myself (so I guess I'll have to wait until I have that sheep farm. ^_^). I'm a fairly beginner crocheter, though, but I'm quickly coming to appreciate it.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I don't have allergies, but I definitely don't appreciate yarn that smells of cigarette smoke.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I've been knitting on the regular for about 4 years.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, on Amazon.ca (keeping the Canadian pride!). http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/registry/wishlist/ref=cs_nav_top_wl/701-7503096-2181159. Since I'm starting to get into crochet, any crochet books would be great, too. I don't really know any specific titles, so I'll leave it up to you. As for knitting books, I mainly like ones with more technique than patterns; I'm more interested in doing my own designing and increasing my talents and knowledge in that area. I also like writing about knitting and am interested in trying out some of the examples of knitting fiction that are being published recently.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love cinnamon. I also really like ocean scents, or white musk. Most importantly it can't be really strong and fruity, I prefer soft, subtle scents. Lavendar is also appreciated since it does double duty: it's calming and it keeps moths away.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
I do indeed! : ) I like licorice all-sorts, Fuzzy Peaches and really good chocolate (especially cheeries in dark chocolate).

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I love anything DIY. I especially like making new things out of old materials/things that would otherwise be thrown away. As for crafts, I've been doing embroidery at various levels of obsessiveness since I was 5. I mainly do cross stitch, but I'm getting interested in learning other styles as well. I prefer to buy paterns and materials seperately (as opposed to in kits) because I don't like the look of Aida cloth.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
This is a hard question to answer. I'm currently getting an education in music from my boyfriend who is a bit of a music snob and so my already eclectic tastes are changing. I think you'd have a hard time finding a genre that I don't like at least a selection from. If you want to make me a CD, make it a CD of music that you think is really good and more people should know about.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love earth tones and blues. My favroutie colour is the deepest, richest forest green I can find, but I also really like browns, blues and earthy reds like burgandy and maroon. I'm developing an appreciation of lavenders and purples as well. I don't like florescent colours or bright reds or oranges.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a boyfriend who I love very much and plan to marry in the not-so-distant future. I also have a 7 year old American Short tale cat named Spirit who I adopted 3 years ago from a local shelter. Here's her website: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/registry/wishlist/ref=cs_nav_top_wl/701-7503096-2181159

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I want to be able to work from home, preferably as a writer. I'd also like to live as self-suficiantly as possible (grow my own vegetables, make and re-use what I need). I want to marry my boyfriend and (eventually) have kids. I want to live a life-style that lets me do volunteer work and travel the world (maybe even at the same time).

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I like knitting with anything soft, especially cotton and soft merino. I haven't been able to explore different yarns as much as I'd like. I'm an environmentalist, so I appreciate things made organically/recycled.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Anything scratchy or dificult to work with. I'm also not a big fan of novelty yarns.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I rather like knitting in the round because it seems more effecient to me (although I love the process of knitting, I'm not as keen on making up). I'm rather fixated with the idea of learning to knit socks, although I haven't actually suceeded in making a pair yet. I love learning new techniques (and I'm hardly an expert so a lot of techniques are new to me).

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like knitting home decor things and anything unique or that looks like it will be a challenge.

17. What are you knitting right now?
A neck warmer in a horribly scratchy acrylic as a favour for a friend (he picked the yarn) and a crocheted tank top for me (yay summer!).

18. What do you think about ponchos?
Just plain not a fan.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I'm gaining an appreciation of circular needles and would like to add to my collection as I only have a few.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo or aluminum, but definitely not plastic unless I'm going on a plane.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
I'm a wannabe sock knitter.

22. How did you learn to knit?
My grandmother taught me when I was 7. Then she taught me again for a single project when I was 16. Then I taught myself when I was 20 and this time it stuck!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Less than a year. It's a light green cotton short sleaved top from Vintage Knits that I started knitting last summer and put down when I moved to England.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love the Powerpuff Girls, largely because I was a Sailor Moon geek in junior high and they are a parody of that show. I also really like retro characters from my childhood like Underdog. My favourite animal is definitely a dolphin (I have seen wild dolphins and I have a dolphin tattoo) and I'm one of those seemingly rare people who are both a cat and a dog person.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
I adore Christmas! Christmas was alsway the biggest holiday in my family growing up and I make a big deal of it by decorating and baking.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
People joke that I collect collections because I have so many and I'm always adding more. My favourite collection is kitschy salt and pepper shakers.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any subscriptions because I've been living abroad, but my favourite knitting magazine is Interweave Knits.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Other than the next Harry Potter? : ) Not really. I have too many unread books already to think about buying more (although that never seems to stop me).

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home