Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Knit like a chef, or cook like a knitter?

A recent series of articles for Interweave's Knitting Daily newsletter has been about using your stitch dictionairy like a cookbook. It's meant to empower knitters to design, or at least personalize patterns, in their knitting. For me, however, I've been trying to teach myself how to use a cookbook like my stitch dictionairy. I have no problems designing on the fly, opening a stitch dictionary and putting together a project without using a published pattern, but for a long time I've been wishing I had that kind of confidence in my cooking. I've spent so long cooking only frozen meals, like fish and chips or chiken strips, that I'm like a knitter who has never strayed from a pattern. The idea of cooking something real, of poking my head in my fridge and making dinner out of whatever's there, is something that Nyron seems to do with ease but that I regard as some kind of magic. Until I realized the similarity between what I want to do in cooking and what I already do for knitting.

So that's what I'm working on right now, along with my actual knitting, of course. I'm reading through Cooking Basics for Dummies and trying to make it make sense, so that I can view my kitchen the same why I view my yarn closet, as a place of possibility instead of a place of intimidation. Wish me luck.

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

1 Comments:

At 10:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the mastery of the kitchen ... it is something both my Mom and my husband can do, but me, not so much! I think it has to do with being responsible for making most meals -- I make very few meals, so rely on tried and true recipes, or prepared foods. I bet as you cook more (in your soon to be wifely role! ;>o ) You will get more comfortable with "whipping up something fabulous with what's laying around!" (Plus I think it helps if you have stuff in mind when you shop - ways to use the leftovers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home