Sunday, August 26, 2007

Secret Pal 11 Questionaire 2

Wow, a second Secret Pal questionnaire! Things sure have changed since I took part in a secret pal exchange 2 years ago (I think it was the 4th or 5th SP). We're actually expected to make continuous contact with our pals this time, instead of just stalking them for 3 months and then sending them a box of stuff. So here is my Secret Pall 11 Questionnaire: Part 2.

1. What is the one knitting accessory you could not live without?

My notions case. When I took up knitting again in earnest when I was 20, my grandmother gave me a whole bunch of knitting supplies for Christmas that year: needles of different sizes, the ubiquitous Patons Canadiana wool that all Canadian knitters have in their stash and a small, fold-over carrying case covered in flowers. Inside, each with it's own little pocket to hold everything in place, is everything I could ever need for my knitting projects, except the actual yarn and needles. It has darning needles of varying sizes and sharpness, an embroidery needle, stitch markers, a cable needle, a ruler with needle gauge, folding scissors, bobbins, a stitch holder, needle tip protectors, and 2 row counters. I never take a knitting project anywhere without it and it spends the rest of the time on the coffee table for when I knit on the couch.


2. If you're heading on vacation, do you take knitting with you? If so, how much and what type of project?

I always take knitting with me on vacation. If I'm going somewhere where we will be travelling around a lot, like a backpacking trip, I take small projects like socks. When I go home to Nova Scotia for Christmas or on a road trip, I bring my big Namaste Messenger Bag full of 2 or 3 large projects, good for hours of knitting in the car or in one of my grandmother's overstuffed armchairs.


3. Where have you travelled to that you'd consider your favorite spot?
Wow. Way too many favourite spots to pick just one. I loved living in Ecuador and still have friends there, London's great, San Sebastien, Spain is so beautiful it makes me want to perfect my Spanish and move there, and Morocco was like nowhere I had ever been. I would go back to any other those places in a heartbeat.

4. What is your favorite knitting book at the moment? Do you own it?
I don't knit from books that often, although I own so many of them that it would suggest otherwise. Right now I like anything that helps me work on technique, as opposed to just having other people's patterns. I'm really enjoying Jaqueline Fee's Sweater Workshop, because when you're done with the Sweater Sampler you can pretty much knit any sweater you want without a pattern, which is what I'm into. Freedom from patterns!


5. Do you listen to podcasts? Which is your favorite(s)?
I listen to way too many podcasts: Sticks & String, Cast On, Lime & Violet, Stash & Burn, Knit Picks, and Knit Science. I'm always "auditioning" others so the list keeps growing.


6. If you could only knit with 1 color for the rest of your life, what color would that be?
I just can't get enough of green. Especially earthy, natural looking greens.


7. If you were far into a project and then noticed a mistake near the beginning what would you do?
I have ripped out large sections of knitting to fix something, but I have also left in mistakes that were only a few rows back. If it can fit into the category of "un-noticeable" or "design feature" than it stays. If it's something noticeable or that will alter the shaping in some way, it gets frogged.


8. Where is the most unusual spot you've ever knit?
While attempting to hitch-hike in France. No one picked us up, though; maybe they were afraid of the double-pointed needles.

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home