Thursday, March 20, 2008

More knitting woes

After years of dithering, I finally bought a set of Knit Picks Options needles. I already have a set of Denise Interchangeables that Nyron bought me for Christmas one year, but I've become so enamored with using interchangeable style circular needles that I often have to juggle the limited number of needle points and cable lengths between many projects and decided that it would be worth adding the Knit Picks version to my stash. Once I've had a chance to use them, I'll give a full review of the pros and cons of each set.

In the same order, I got a pair of Harmony wood 2.25mm circular needles so that I could knit the Fall Fire socks from the Robyn's Nest October Sock Club. I bought the Harmony needles because I think they are so pretty, but I paid for my vanity. I bought them with the intention of knitting the socks during the Stephanie Pearl McPhee book tour launch on April 1, so I cast the socks on Tuesday night, thinking this would give me plenty of time. My preferred method of sock knitting is toe-up, 2 socks on 2 circs, and the pattern is written from toe up so this was the perfect pattern for my still-fledgling sock skills to handle while watching the glorious Yarn Harlot on the stage of the Isabel Bader Theatre (where I used to have an English class, so it's already imbued with good memories for me). I was only on the second round of the socks, in the middle of a Make 1 to the right where I was trying to get the point of the needle needle in the twisted M1 stitch and - horrors! - the needle tip snapped off in my hand! I looked down and the little tip was still hanging on by the stitches and the little metal join was in my hand, connected to the cable, with a completely clean break where the needle tip had once been.

I will not repeat what I said when I realized what had happened, or those of you with parental controls on your computers will not be able to access this blog, but suffice it to say it was nasty enough to make Nyron pause the Battlestar Gallactica DVD we'd been watching (he's trying to get my caught before season 4 starts in April). After some cuddles and sympathy from Nyron, I sent an email to their customer service address requesting to exchange them for a pair of nickel plated circs of the same size (I'm not taking my chances with another set of wood needles, as beautiful as they are). And I waited.

I didn't hear back from them all day yesterday, so this afternoon I called the number directly. I explained what had happened and further added my concerns about my April 1 deadline. In true knitter fashion, the mention of Stephanie Pearl McPhee lit a fire under the lovely woman who answered the phone (I believe her name was Kathy) and she said that she would try to get my new needles to me as fast as possible so that I would have them in time. I don't even have to send the broken ones back to them, as that would further delay the exchange. I was very impressed. Now I'm just hoping I get my new needles in time. Wish me luck!

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

1 Comments:

At 3:46 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

I've had a similar situation. Knit Picks doesn't seem too quick with the e-mail responses. Hope you get them on time and maybe see you at the Yarn Harlot event.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home