Sunday, January 08, 2006

A little kitten to make a home

Spirit has been home for about 2 weeks now. I brought her home with me on the plane from Nova Scotia. At first she seemed decidedly less than thrilled with the fact that she was in yet another unfamiliar environment, but Spirit has always been wonderfully adaptable. By the end of the day, she'd discovered the incredibly thick and soft sofa back and has made it her home inside home. 'Having her here definitely makes this place feel more like home. I always look forward to coming home from work and being told off by her from the top of the stairs for being gone all day. : )

We're a little concerned about her weight, though. She hasn't been to the vet yet this year, so I don't know her official weight, but she's definitely beginning to show it. I can't set up limited feeding times like you're supposed to with cats, because she has a tendency to stuff her face all at once and then throw up when the dry food expands inside her stomach. I have, however, severely limited the amount that I give her each morning and I don't feed her any more during the day. We're also trying to get her to exercise more, which is a real effort on our parts because she's an indoor cat. Luckily, she got lots of cat toys for Christmas from my family, including a laser pointer, so hopefully she'll start to get trimmer in the upcoming months. If anyone has any advice on how to get a cat who's at least 12 lbs (but probably more like 13) down to a healthier weight, feel free to post a comment.



At 2:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat was 17 pounds and I got him down to 15 where he is considered healthy by the vet. I spread his stuff out through the house, litter in the basement, food on the top floor, and his favorite toys throughout. So he pretty much had to climb stairs pretty regularly throughout the day.

At 7:35 p.m., Blogger Kat said...

My husband and I have a Siamese with the stuff the face problem. We have coped with it in two ways. First, we now feed him off of a plate with the food spread thinly across it. We also put the plate on books so that it is level with the base of his chin. These combined slow him dow enough to stop the puking.

When we were getting him accustomed to timed feeding we gave him half portions half an hour apart. This kept him from scarfing too much all at once.

Finally, we had to take him off science diet because the pellets were jsut too easy to throw back without chewing. His food is shaped like little Y's that make him chew first.


Post a Comment

<< Home