Saturday, May 31, 2008

I dream of Aubergines

Ravelry continues to be a wonderful source to fuel my fibre addiction. A forum chain about dyeing led to 3 of us spending yesterday afternoon in the new Lettuce Knit dye room with Kim (Idigodragonfly) learning how to mix acid dyes and basic colour theory. We spent the first half of the class learning to mix the powdered dyes in primary colours and combining them to create other colours (like in 3rd grade, but much more scientific). It may sound boring but was actually quite interesting. One of these days I'll make a whole colour wheel of dyed yarn as a template for dyeing, although I'll probably start with Kool-Aide since it's cheaper and less toxic. You can get some surprisingly nice shades by mixing Kool-Aide, not just the acid green you're probably picturing right now. I know there's an article on Knitty about it, but I can't be bothered to look it up right now.

Then we got to the fun stuff. I bought 100g of merino roving from the store and dyed this roving.


Gorgeous, eh? I love the variations in purples. I've been getting more into purple lately, as a departure from surrounding myself with green all the time. I found instructions on this blog on how to braid roving into those nice braided strips. I think it looks really pretty this way. I called it Aubergine Dream.


I think I'll wait until I'm a little better at spinning before I tackle this just because it feels like it deserves better. Speaking of spinning, I kidnapped Marisa (one of the other 2 who attended the dye class with me) and forced her to drive me home in exchange for supper and getting to play with my spinning wheel. There was Rock Band in the deal, as well, but we couldn't get it to work and Nyron was still getting over his cold so he was taking a nap.

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home