Sunday, August 05, 2007

Moon Mist accidental art yarn?

I had my first spinning wheel class today! The class is taught at Lettuce Knit in Kensington Market here in Toronto. It's a 2-part class, which is good because I clearly need a lot more practice! I chose some roving that reminded me of an ice cream flavour that is only made by a few dairy companies on the East Coast. It's called Moon Mist and it's a mix of flavours; there's always a purple "grape" flavour, and then depending on the company it could be green "lime", yellow "banana" or blue "blueberry" (the flavours are in quotations marks because you can't really taste them on their own, you can only assume that this is what they're supposed to taste like). Each scoop is a swirl of light pastel colours and is just gorgeous, so when I saw those colours in a lovely skein of roving I just had to have it! The roving was dyed by the instructor right on site in their new dye lab, so I'll have to see if she can duplicate it and show me how. I'd knit a whole item in those colours.

So after two hours of trying to keep my twist even (and failing) I ended up with a skein of what I'm calling art yarn, because it makes it sound like I intended it that way. :)


As you can see, I was having a little trouble keeping the twist consistent. I kept over-twisting the yarn in some parts and really under twisting it in others. My real problem is with drafting; when I took a drop spindle class last Christmas I had the same problem. But the spinning wheel makes more sense to me somehow than the drop spindle did, so I'm going to stick with this. Nyron, who is the ever fiber-supportive boyfriend, has already started looking for ways that I could fit the cost of a spinning wheel into the budget.

**A note about the picture: I tried to take a picture of this "yarn" next to my cat while she was lying across the back of the couch, thinking that it would be really cute. She's not usually interested in yarn unless it's spinning across the floor, so I figured it would be safe. I placed the skein next to her head; she took one sniff of it and went wild! I don't know what it was, but she began batting at it and nipping it. I finally managed to get this shot, where she is in the act of tossing it off the back of the couch:



Just look at how wild her eyes were! She's manic, I tells you! Manic!

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home