Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Secret Pal 11 Questionaire

Hi Secret Pal partner! I am linking this from my sidebar so that it's easy for you to find when you want to refer back to it.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love anything soft (merino, alpaca) and DK cotton is very versatile, so it's tends to end up in my stash a lot. I'm getting into socks and lace, but I don't have a lot of yarn for that yet. I do not like novelty yarns.


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I store my straight needles and crochet hooks in roll-up holders I made myself (based on the needle case in Stitch 'n Bitch). I don't have a holder for my circs, though, and I have quite a few of them (because I keep loosing them and having to buy new ones). I also have a set of Denise Interchangeables.


3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I first learned from my grandmother at age 7, and then again at age 16 when I had an actual knitting project I wanted to do. At 20 I re-taught myself and really took to it in earnest; that was 6 years ago. I'd consider my skill level intermediate to advanced; I can't do everything, but I'm pretty fearless and will jump straight into anything. My first pair of socks were knit toe-up, 2 at a time on circular needles and I figured out the technique without knowing that anyone had published instructions on it.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Not yet, but I've been meaning to get one. I'll come back to this when I have one.


5. What's your favorite scent?
I love ocean-y scents and very natural scents. I had an essential oil called Siesta in the Rain that I used up in university. Not so hot on lavender, only because I have so much of it at home and am rather sick of it, but some lavender or cedar sachets for my yarn closet would be welcome.


6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love dark chocolate, especially with cherries in the centre.


7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I knit and crochet (although I prefer knitting). I'm just learning to spin and am saving up for a wheel. I do paper making and am always looking for more screens and deckles (they're rather hard to find). My craft of choice for most of my life had been cross stitch and although I don't do it much anymore I'm very interested in the tradition of embroidered samplers.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My computer can play MP3s and I have an iPod that I take everywhere. I like good indie music (Belle & Sebastian, Camera Obsura, The Decemberists, The Shins, Tokyo Police Club, Sufjan Stevens) but am always open to new influences.


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love earth tones, especially greens, blues and deep reds or maroons. I can't stand bright, crayon-y colours.


10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I've been with my boyfriend Nyron for 3 years and we're planning to get married next fall. We have a cat named Spirit who likes to play with things that move (all her toys are something tied to a pole on a long string) and toilet paper roles.


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Not big on the poncho thing, but scarves, hats and mittens are a survival must here in Canada!


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
My favourite things to knit are the things I'm currently knitting (and there's always more than one). I tend to like things that will teach me a technique I've never done before and I love designing and figuring out new ways of doing something.


13. What are you knitting right now?
Right now I'm knitting Rusted Root by Zephyr Style, Mystery Stole 3, and Vernum, which is a DK cotton shirt in an issue of Knitting magazine.


14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love handmade gifts! I make so many gifts for other people and no one really makes gifts for me.


15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love circs, especially of the interchangeable variety. I'm not a fan of plastic but have been known to use it (my beloved Denises are plastic, for example). I'm interested in the Knit Picks Options but I'd like to try them first before shelling out the dough. I like bamboo, but find the join on bamboo circulars to be maddeningly catchy. Most of my needles are aluminum.


16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I don't own either. I've never found the need for a ball winder, as I can wind perfectly good centre-pull balls on my hand, but I've been jonesing for a swift for a while; the back of my computer chair can be a little tricky to use. I don't like the swifts that are held together by bits of waste yarn, though, so I'm always looking for one with proper joint connectors. I've seen them, so I know they exist, I've just never seen one for sale.


17. How old is your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO is probably 2 years old. It's a pair of green merino mittens that I started knitting for my brother, but he took one look at them and asked if I can change this and that, so I've never gotten around to frogging them and making the changes.


18. What is your favorite holiday?
I like Christmas because I get the most time off from work and get to go home to Nova Scotia to see my family, but I'm not into all the Santa, Christmas carols, cheesy stuff. I'm not religious, either, so it's really all about the vacation and family time (and gifts).


19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect salt & pepper shakers, Wade figurines, Eeyore swag, and things in miniature (like dollhouse accessories, although I don't own a dollhouse). I also collect antique and vintage knitting and sewing notions (this collection started with an antique bone needle case that I found in an antique shop in England).


20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'm not really dying to get my hands on anything in particular, since if there's a pattern I want I either buy it or figure out how to do it myself. I have a subscription to Interweave Knits, but I also read Knitting (a UK magazine) and anything else that has patterns or articles that catch my eye.


21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I've been planning a sweater for Nyron that has entrelac in it, so I plan to get around to learning that soon. I'm quite into lace knitting right now because I'd like to make a shawl and veil for my wedding.


22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am just getting into socks (I've knit two pairs). I knit toe-up so I don't ever need to actually take measurements or knit a gauge swatch since I fit as I go. I'll scrounge around for my ribbon tape measure and get back to you on this.


23. When is your birthday?
January 22


24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
For now my Rav ID is my name, which I don't want to give away, but I've asked Casey to change it to Arroyo (Little Knittin Kitten was too long and someone had already taken Knittin Kitten. I didn't think I wouldn't be able to change it later). I'll update when the change has been made.

Well, looking forward to getting to know you through this exchange!

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home