Friday, November 16, 2007

Let the season begin!

This morning we had the first snow of the season. Of course, it being mid-November, it was more along the lines of "flurries" or "snow showers" as they called it on the 680 News weather report. Still, that means the fingerless mitts are definitely not going to cut it much longer. I must get to work on the gloves (I've decided to make them fingerless gloves with a fold-over top for maximum versatility). I need to learn kitchener stitch for the pattern I'm designing (I'm knitting these on the fly right now) and that is a skill that has eluded me despite a number of attempts to figure it out. I must bring hem to the Westend Woolies meeting next Thursday and get Sarah to show me how it's done.

I did end up going to the Yarn Boutique sale looking for yarn for the Juno Shawl and was sadly disappointed: not just with the sale, but with the whole store. This is the first time I've been in there since the first week it re-opened under new management. The old shop didn't have a lot of variety, but the owner was super nice and you could knit and chat with her forever. It had a cosy, rather cluttered feel that felt very comfortable. When I went last night, there still wasn't a lot of variety, but it had lost a lot of that welcoming feel. Instead of the warm browns of the old store, it's now been painted a bright sterile white. Instead of an owner interested in a chat, it had an owner (I assume it was the owner, there was a picture of her and her kids on the table) absorbed in the TV while she knit. When I asked for some lace weight yarn I practically had to explain to her what lace weight was. When I told her what gauge I was looking for we searched the store for it and couldn't find a single ball or skein with that gauge. Then she just went back to the TV (she was watching I/R Cold Case Files on A&E, a show I love, which prompted Nyron to wonder allowed what it was with knitters and A&E crime documentaries).

I took a moment last night to look up the retailers for the actual yarn called for in the pattern, Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace, and it turns out that they carry it at Lettuce Knit. Looks like I'll be going there after work tonight. I've decided that I'm definitely going to knit it and hope to get it done in time to give it as a gift to Kathryn (I hope she's not reading this blog). I've been budgeting very well this week, so I think I'll buy another skein of the Dream in Color yarn for the Rocketry blankets and sweater for Amy's baby. It's reasonably priced for hand-dyed yarn (although still more than I usually spend per skein) so I'm hoping to make it stretch for 2 babies.

Until next we knit!

=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home