Sunday, June 22, 2008

What what what?

Recently, I actually made someone do a triple take. Well, I didn't: my knitting did. I was on the subway with some of my friends in my publishing class at Ryerson and we were all travelling home together because we live all in the West End. I was sitting in one of the seats that is placed widthwise in the subway train and there was a woman reading a hardcover novel sitting directly in front of me, in a seat that is placed along the wall of the train so that we were perpendicular to each other. I guess that's how she happened to see me out of the corner of her eye, since she was sitting with her profile to me.

I saw her head turn slightly to take in my knitting, then go back to her book. An instant later her head swivelled back to the work on my lap, and she made that furrowed-brow frowning look of someone who's surprised and confused and not exactly happy about being either. Only on a third return to her book and then back at me did she look up at my face, I guess to try and puzzle out what manner of strange creature would be so oddly occupied in public. I swear, it was like I was kneading bread on my lap and covering her with flour! I gave her a bright smile and she returned it with a rather hesitant one and that's the last time her gaze ventured my way, although she stayed on almost as long as I did (I live at the penultimate stop). Some people are so strange.

I finally finished the baby blanket for Amy's new little girl, Grace. I think it looks quite good with the green border.




I'm very happy with how it turned out, although I think it'll be a while before I do a patchwork blanket again. That's a lot of sewing!

I'm also plugging along on the Spring Forward Socks from this season's Knitty. I cast them on specially for WWKIP Day because the Classico Twinset was too large to carry with me and I wanted something I could stick in my purse. The twinset is now only suitable for knitting on the couch or on my daily commute where I won't be disturbed for a good half hour at a time.



This is Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino Dream in Sunbeam that my mother bought me when I was home in May. I love the colour, but I'm a little concerned about one of the balls. As I was winding it up from the skein, I noticed that she seems to have dripped a spot of dark blue dye on it. I'm hoping that as I knit it up it all the little blue dots scattered throughout the yarn will all magically fall to the back of the stitches and none will show. We'll see.

I got some gardening done a while back, so I thought I'd share a picture of how they're coming along.


The plastic movie theatre popcorn tubs contain roma tomatoes, the wooden basket has 2 strawberry plants and the rectangular container with the round trellis in the back (Bernat Satin yarn wound around a tomato cage) has snow peas. I still wish I had a backyard, but for now my south-facing balcony will do. We've been getting a lot of rain lately, which helps a lazy gardener like me. I don't know what I'll do when I have to actually remember to water them myself!

Until next we knit!


=^_^=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home